Sunday, November 30, 2014

Week 95 - November 24-30, 2014

Fall beauty is everywhere.  This picture looks at the college down the street from our apartment building.  Our car is the gray Toyota on the left hand side of the picture.
Fall brings beautiful blossoms on the Camilla bushes at the jogging park.  Japan has beautiful flowers year around. 
My pansies like the cool weather and the two plants grown from seeds of last winters pansies are just starting to blossom.   
I think this is the biggest Kumamon in Kumamoto.  The picture is taken from our car in the street looking away from the Kumamoto castle. 

Elder Koberstein and I with help from Akemi enjoyed cooking a Thanksgiving dinner for the Elders and Sister in the Kumamoto and Nagamine Wards.  We bought a 14 pound turkey at Costco and was able to cook it in the oven in the church.  The church is next to our apartment building.  It was a little bit heavy to pack hot to the apartment though.  I was successful in making candied sweet potatoes and dressing.  The Internet is so helpful in finding spices needed, recipes etc.
I found pine cones while walking in Beppu.  Akemi and I made turkey table decorations out of them.
Akemi made a pilgrim hat and Indian head bands.  I showed her how to cut feathers out of color paper.  Everyone enjoyed taking pictures as Indians and pilgrims.  We all took the opportunity to share something we were thankful for this years.  I am thankful for my two families.  The first family is my family which includes my children, their spouses and their children and my extended family.  The second family I am part of is my Heavenly Father's eternal family, which includes everyone on earth.  There are so many wonderful people everywhere.  We feel so blessed to have been able to get to know those in the Kumamoto, Japan area.  We were brothers and sister in the spirit world before we came to earth.  On earth we are working together to once again return to our loving Heavenly Father when our time here is done.  It is a wonderful time of years to think about all we have to be thankful for.  I like these quote by Presdient Thomas S. Monson and President Dieter F. Uchtdorf.
"A grateful heart...comes through expressing gratitude to our Heavenly Father for His blessings and to those around us for all that they bring into our lives."  President Thomas S. Monson
"No matter how bleak the chapter of our lives may look today, because of the life and sacrifice of Jesus Christ, we may hope and be assured that the ending of the book of our lives will Exceed our grandest expectations."  President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Scripture of the Week
1 Chronicles 16:34
O give thanks unto the Lord, for he is God; for his mercy endureth for ever.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That Thanksgiving feast looks so familiar! Costco solves so many Thanksgiving needs! I hope you still got to have leftovers :)