Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Week 2 - February 11-18, Arrival in Japan

What an eventful week traveling from Antioch, California to Kumomoto, Japan. We had a nice flight meeting a group of Elder and Sister missionaries flying from the Missionary Training Center to the Fukuoka Mission at the Tokyo airport only to find out we were on different airlines. When we arrived in the Fukuoka airport there was not a common baggage area. There was no one to meet us. We waited until the airport started closing. We borrowed a phone from someone and called the mission president, office, home but got no answer. We left a message for the mission president. We then decided to get a cab and go to the mission home which is under the temple. The cab had a hard time finding the mission home. He eventually took us to a police station. The door was open but no one was there. He looked at a map, made a phone call and in a few minutes a policeman came. He helped the driver find the temple. When we got there we could not find people so decided to get a hotel for the night and call from there. When we got the hotel we called Salt Lake as directed and gave them our information and phone number at the hotel. The mission president got the message we left as he was going to bed. He drove to the airport but we were not there. He expected us to arrive on Wednesday. We enjoyed the training at the mission home with the single Elders and Sisters and getting to know the income group and President and Sister Gustafson. Thursday we drove to our apartment in Kumomoto. Elder and Sister Beus brought us down. We stopped by Costco in Japan on the way. It is a little bit of America here. Sadly we left our Costco cards at home. We took Elder & Sister Beus out for dinner before they started back to Fukuoka. It was an interesting restaurant where you cook your own food on the grill at the table. We have learned how to turn on the hot water, stove, toaster and heat of the apartment. Terry has been able to get internet connections with the help of the Elders. We have learned how to use the printer (directions are in Japanese). There are three ways up to our eighth floor apartment. My favorite is the spiral staircase with 98 steps. Terry and I have decided to walk up/down the stairs for exercise. It should get easier the more we do it. I definitely prefer the stairs when we are going to the church which is just across the parking lot. We have the cutest toilet. Notice the sink to wash your hands after using it. It is on top of the toilet. You can flush with a half or whole flush. The shower is interesting. It is a little room with a tub or shower but the shower is not over the tub. Main roads are nice but areas that people live in are very narrow. Terry had me take a picture of a wide street. Traffic is two way. We are driving a mission 2011 Toyota Corolla and it is a big car on the streets here in Japan. Monday morning I went to a Relief Society mini class. We made little purses. It was fun to be there with a few sisters from the ward. We communicated though each knew little of the others language. Terry and I attended two wards meetings on Sunday (Kumamoto and Nagamine). We met some wonderful people. It was very worthwhile.


Delirious said...

Wow you are having such a great experience! I would love to have the chance to spend some time in Japan. But being a missionary is the best part!

Katie said...

We can have guests. The Kumamoto Castle is not far and there is also the worlds largest active volcano on the island of Kyushu.