Saturday, August 4, 2018

Week 14 - July 30-August 4

This week as zone leaders we were challenged with the opportunity to share an article for the mission wide newspaper.  Elder Koberstein thought it was my turn and I just could not come up with an article.  With dead line upon us he sat down and wrote up this experience with finding his Koberstein ancestors homeland.  I feel it was the message that our Father in Heaven want shared this month.  Thank you Elder Koberstein.  Hope you enjoy his article.

  Message from International Services  
By Elder Terry Koberstein, Zone Leader  
My last name is Koberstein, a clearly Germanic name. It has been a very interesting issue in my life, coming to learn about my last name.  Of course I knew it was my father’s and grandfather’s last name, but my father died of polio when I was less than three years old so we didn’t have lots of father/son discussions about who we were. My mother and stepfather didn’t provide insights, either.  

At a fairly young age I became involved in searching out my ancestors, first finding my link to my Grandmother Koberstein’ French Canadian ancestry (La Fleur) and then over the years working out the history of my state-side Koberstein family.     

My first job after college took my wife and me to Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. The full load of work, church and family enveloped us and nurtured our fledgling family. Life was good to us and we loved it.   

However, the rumblings of “who am I?” became even stronger.  After a while we left Wisconsin and moved to California, working for a new company. Part of my assignment was traveling back to Wisconsin. Since I had continued my family history research, I had discovered the connection with Great-great-grandfather Ludwig Koberstein in Newton Township, Marquette County, Wisconsin, just two counties above the county where we had lived. I was greatly interested to find where he came from in Europe and thought maybe Wisconsin held the key.  

I needed to know the key! I had to find the locality, even down to the very city or village to find the Koberstein’. The records I could find state-side were vague about that locality. Census, immigration passenger lists, emigration from Hamburg all gave the general location as Prussia. The Kingdom of Prussia, as I came to learn, was a very large place with frequent border changes based on the last war to envelope it.  

On one of my business trips back to Oconomowoc I added a side vacation trip to Marquette County. I searched the courthouse, library, cemeteries etc. to no avail.  However, I did stay over on Sunday and attended the ward in the nearest larger town, Westfield.  At church I asked around for the most knowledgeable genealogist in the ward.  That was Sister Ingraham, they all said.  I caught her after church and explained my interest.  She said she may have something that might interest me. She and her husband invited me to dinner that night.  I was anxious to find out what she had.  

That evening after dinner she explained that she had been given permission to extract records from the nearby old German church in Lawrence, Wisconsin, and went into an adjoining room to bring back the church record for William Koberstein. It clearly stated he was born in Colonie Brinsk, West Prussia.  Miracle of miracles, I knew the key! Later I found out through the experts at the Salt Lake City Family History Library where Colonie Brinsk was. Once I knew that, I found the records of hundreds of my ancestors who had waited almost 200 years for this grand event. 
   
Elijah had paved the way, probably with the help of my deceased ancestors guiding my steps.  
Thursday was the first Recognition Meeting that Elder Koberstein and I have been responsible for on the B1 floor.  I am so amazed at all the hard work of so many in our zone to make this event and the luncheon following a success.  Pictured is Elder Koberstein preparing the slide show for the awards, birthdays and new or returning missionaries in our zone.
This is the group of missionaries that complete their level 2 training in July.  Level 2 training give a brief overview of how to access records in ten different countries. Elder Koberstein and I are among those that completed it.  We now have one more level of training, level 3.  In level 3 we will specialize in a language group.  Elder Koberstein chose the "German Group".  I have one line from Denmark which is part of the "Nordic Group".  The training on our floor of the Family History Library is amazing.  I feel so blessed to be given the privilege to be here.
This week Elder Koberstein has been biking to Bountiful from the Family History Library and I have driven home.  I injured my knee so I am trying to give it a chance to heal.  On Saturday morning he describes his bike ride to the Legacy Nature Preserve on Facebook as follows:  "My bicycle trip to day down Orchard Drive to North Salt Lake City, down Center Street to the Legacy bike path entering Woods Cross to the Legacy Nature Preserve then back into town on 500 South past horses a weird Buffalo by the oil refinery."
Here is the buffalo all dressed up.
I wonder if it is a better place to visit in the spring when there is more water, not to many birds to watch this time of year.

THOUGHT FOR YOU
This is Grandpa Hale's missionary card from his mission to the Southern States.  Grandpa left Salt Lake City 4 January 1900.  He labored in the Ozark Mountains.  The following poem was found in Grandpa and Grandma Hale's poem collection.  I enjoyed reading it.  It tells a lot about missionary life at that time.  The author is unknown.  

Missionary Work in Arkansas
Thru sunshine and rain
Thru pleasure and pain,
Striving to bring souls unto God,
To do the folks good,
We did all we could
Showing them the path Jesus trod.

We walked up and down
From farmhouse to town,
Calling on the high and the low
Kind and polite we treat everyone
Disseminating truth as we go.

Thou some at us scorn
We try to all warn
Of judgement, destruction and woe,
Soon to be sent
Unless they repent
Of their sins so debasing and low.

They will get very mad
And say all that's bad
And turn us away from their door
But with a light heart
We'd always depart
And go on our way as before.

There are others again
Who would bid us remain
Their food and shelter to share
Saying that we would welcome be
If we could put up with the fare.

By the fire at night
We'd the gospel recite
And rest them by singing a song
We'd talk of the news
And show them some views
Which we always carried along.

Our tracts were as free
As the sands by the sea
To all who desired them to read
Our books we did lend
The truth to defend
And the people with literature feed.

We had books for sale
But if we should fail
To get them out in this way
For the people in need
Who desired them to read
We'd offer one without pay.

We were always in search
For schoolhouse or church
In which we might gospel discuss
It was hard to get these
So many to please
And someone would kick up a fuss.

So we have spoke
Under some spreading oak
To the people gathered around
In the domicile too
We preached to a few
Whenever the privilege we found.

We found it was best
To go neatly dressed
And a gentlemanly bearing to show
So that every sect
Would show us respect
Among whom 'twas our duty to go.

Without purse or script
Along with our grip
We found was the best way to go
Fir if we confide
The Lord will Provide
We've tried it and found it is so.

When we did commence
To carry a few cents
Upon which we might safely rely
But twice at night
We were left in a plight
And in the woods had to lie.

Last conference we agreed
Without purse to succeed
And have quit sleeping out in the cold
Our washing get done
And our stamps always come
And we're bringing more sheep to the fold.

We haven't been last
To observe every fast
Appointed by God's holy men
Besides other few
We enter into
For strength we desire to obtain.

We always have stiven
To observe all that was given
By way of command or advice.

No comments: