Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Week 20 - September 10-16

This week was special as Elder Koberstein and I drove into Star Valley Wyoming for our Research and Temple day on Friday.  We spent Friday afternoon at the Family History Center in the Star Valley Stake Center/Tabernacle but really in the library adjacent to this wonderful old building.  I had the goal to find my great grandfather's obituary in the Star Valley Independent.  I knew it had been published there as a keyed in copy is on family search.
I was disappointed to find the microfilms of the Star Valley Independent only go from 1919 to about 1980.  My great-grandfather Aroet Lucius Little Hale died in 1911.
I had previously noticed that there is not many things about my grandmother, Susan Idella Cazier Hale on FamilySearch.  She passed away April 15, 1938.  This news article was on the front page titled "Mrs. Ben Hale Passes Away" published April 21, 1938.  A rewarding afternoon which made me realize I need more time to search the Independent for it's family treasures.
We then met Ida Beth and Larry for dinner at Agave's Mexican restaurant on Main Street in Afton.  I love the elk horn arch over Main Street in Afton.
We had any enjoyable dinner and visited then drove to the Star Valley temple for a evening session there. 
Saturday morning we enjoyed a walk to Flat Creek in Thayne with Ida Beth and Larry.
Saturday afternoon we drove to Fairview and visited with my brother and his family.  We even stopped to take a picture by the town of Fairview sign.  I grew up in Fairview on a small dairy farm owned and ran by my father.

Sunday found us at church in Thayne with my cousin.  It was fun to meet another Fairviewite, Orson Pead.  We were in the same grade all the way though high school Junior year when his family moved to Utah.
On the drive back to Salt Lake City we drove through a herd of sheep.  A fun memory from the past.  It was fun to see a few black sheep in the bunch.
Our drive was a little early to see the beautiful fall colored leaves but a very enjoyable get away weekend.

A THOUGHT FOR YOU
"Gone To Rest" 
by Bertha Nelson
(This poem was printed in the Star Valley Independent article about my Grandmother Hale's death, April 21, 1938.  The author Bertha Nelson was probably a family friend)

Dear Sister Idella, as we all knew you
With your loving gentle smile,
You have been called to leave your dear ones
But only for a little while.

God has a mission for you
A great and glorious work,
So she has gone to answer
For she was never known to shirk.

You have all cared for her,
Did all that you could do;
And now in return for you kindness
She will be watching over you.

You will miss her, yes, you will miss her
There will be her vacant chair,
You will call and listen,
But mother will not be there.

The eyes are closed, the voice is stilled
Of one you loved so dear,
But O how grand it all will be,
When you meet her over there.

No comments: