Thursday, January 10, 2019

Week 36 - December 31-January 6

For New Years day we decided go see the "Maya Hidden Worlds Revealed" exhibit at the Natural History Museum of Utah.
This is a picture of my Maya name.  I chose princess flower in English and the display wrote it in Maya picture graphs.  There was a limited number of name choices available but it was a fun interesting activity.
This is my birthday date in the Maya writing according to the tools in the exhibit.
This display had part of it that showed the picture in color and then also without color.  The color made the picture stick out.
This pillar had writing on it too.  The words were easier to see when highlighted with light.  Most of the Maya writing we have today tells about the kings.
I believe this was a Maya dwelling.  It was found with a body, bowls, pots and other artifacts.
I personally like these Lacandon god pots from Chiapas, Mexico.  They were made to represent different gods  The striped pot is made for a male deity.  The unpainted pot is a ceremonial vessel but not linked to a particular god.
We enjoyed our last day together with Lynn before he headed back to California.  This picture is over looking the Salt Lake Valley from the museum.
Elder Koberstein received a very thoughtful package from Arizona.  He now has warm ears and neck.  We walked up to Dicks Grocery Store to try it out and I had to get a picture.
Sunday we had a grandson ordained at teacher.  We debated driving to Smithfield through Sardine Canyon because of the winter weather conditions but by the time Sacrament Meeting was over we decided to give it a try.  Roads were reasonable.
There is a lot more snow in Logan than Salt Lake City. One could hardly see the stores behind the snow scooped off the parking lots.
A beautiful snow hill in Smithfield to play "King of Bunkers Hill", a favorite game in the winter time when I was growing up.  The person on top of the snow hill would yell/sing "I am king of bunkers hill.  I can fight and I can kill."  Everyone would try and push the one of top off.  When they were the top they would sing "I am king of bunkers hill.  I can fight and I can kill."

A THOUGHT FOR YOU
"...God's love is stronger than the cords of death-temporal or spiritual.  Our Savior's Atonement is infinite and eternal.  Each of us tries and falls short.  We may, for a time. lose our way.  God lovingly assures us, no matter where we are or what we have done, There is no point of no return.  He waits ready to embrace us." -"Our Campfire of Faith" by Elder Gerrit W. Gong

2 comments:

Lynn said...

I miss the snow already. But at least today we got nice heavy tulle fog. My Maya name was First Shield. That was a fun exhibit. It would have been nice to be able to be there with Charles when he was ordained. I am happy you could be there. Best wishes.

kds kupboard said...

It would be great if we could be closer. We enjoyed your visit very much.