Saturday, June 2, 2018

Week 4 - May 19-28

Guess who is working at the Family History Library on the BI International floor with us?  Sister Cook, who we met in Kumamoto.  She came both summers we were there. She was visiting her family.  It was a sweet surprise for us.
Friday evening after work at the Family History Library on Temple Square.  Elder Koberstein and I drove to Logan Utah to visit our son's family.  We went to the temple and had an enjoyable evening there.  It was fun to visit the temple we were married in many years ago again.

This blog post has taken longer to put together than I anticipated.  I beleive it has been for me, not my readers.  It has been a study of my ancestors as we visited the graves of many of them.

This weekend was Memorial Day weekend.  We had a three day weekend so we visited graves of ancestors in Garden City, Fish Haven, Montpelier, Afton and Idaho Falls area.  This is something I have not had the opportunity to do in many years as we have always lived far away from family graves and family members.

Our son and his family drove to Garden City, Utah and Fish Haven, Idaho with us on Saturday.  We visited the following graves in Garden City. 
 Lydia Luetta (Lettie) Cook and Joseph Weston Gibbons, my grandparents on my mother's parents.
Lydia Ann Nelson and David Savage Cook.  My great grandparents and parents of my Grandmother Gibbons.  My mother spent a lot of time in her Grandmother Cook's home as she was growing up.  It was walking distance from her childhood home.

We then went to Fish Haven, Idaho where we found my great great grandparents, John Lowery Nelson (Johan Lalurits Neilsen) and Susannah Cutler.
The highlight of the day for the grandchildren was eating at the restaurant that was once my Grandpa and Grandma Gibbons home in Garden City, Utah.

Sunday found Elder Koberstein and I in Montpelier, Idaho where we visited graves of Elder Koberstein's family members.
We stopped by the graves of James Jensen and Naomi Phelps, Elder Koberstein's grandparents.  They are the parents of his mother.

On Memorial Day we went to the Afton cemetery with my brother and visited family graves there.

We visited the grave of my parents Charles Hale and LaThel Gibbons.

My Grandparents Benjamin Walter Hale and Susan Idella Cazier.  These are my father's parents.


Charlote Cooke Hale who is my great grandmother,  She married Aroet Lucius Hale and was his fouth wife.  Aroet is burried in Utah.  When my father was growning up she lived across the street from his childhood home and had a great influence on him during those years.

My great grandparents, Charles Gates Cazier and Susan Bingham.  They are the parents of my Grandmother Hale, Susan Idela Cazier.  My father received the name Charles from this man and his father.  My dad was called "Charley Hale" to tell the three Charles apart.  When he was growing up all three Charles lived in Afton.

My great great grandparents, Charles Drake Cazier and Harriet Gates are the parents of Charles Gates Cazier.  He was the first bishop and patriacrch of Star Valley and Harriet Gates was the first Releif Society President of Star Valley.

Phineas Wolloctt Cook is my great great grandfather on my mother's side.  He is burried with his fourth wife, Irene Churchill in Star Valley.


 I am a decendant of his second wife, Amanda Polly Savage who is buried in Garden City, Utah.  We missed her grave at the cemetery in Garden City but found the headstone picture on Find a Grave.  Isn't family history intersting?

Our final stop was to graves in Idaho Falls, Idaho area at the Annis Little Butte Cemetery.  We visited the grave of Elder Koberstein's mother (Juanita Naomi Jensen Koberstein) and step father Dee Lawrence Gray.

 Elder Koberstein's full brother Michael Koberstein is buried next to his mother.

  We had the privilege of meeting our son and his family at Annis Little Butte Cemetery.  They showed us by example how to clean the graves.  Next trip, I think we may go prepared to clean up the grave site as they did.  I am always learning.  Thanks for the example kids.



No comments: